DROP-OFF 9:20 AM – 9:30 AM
PICKUP 10:30 AM – 10:40 AM
Glaze is a layer or coating used on bisque fired pottery (refer to examples below). The glaze is applied and then goes through another kiln firing process after the workshop at 984°C – 1,101°C. The glaze materials when used properly are non-toxic.
Kids are encouraged to bring along one main piece that they have made in our previous school holiday or after-school programs. If they do not have their own piece, we will supply items for the children to use. Items made during the October school holidays are unlikely to be ready in time for this workshop.
1. Fundamentals and techniques of glaze application
2. Planning colours, patterns and effects
3. Glazing of one main piece per child
4. Kiln firing (after the workshop)
5. Pick-up available 5 – 7 days after the workshop (sometimes sooner)
This workshop is $15 per student. All required art materials are provided in the workshop including kiln glaze firing.
What children need to bring:
● Children can bring a piece they have made previously in one of our clay workshops, otherwise a piece can be provided for the workshop (at no charge)
● Pieces made at home or elsewhere will be considered and can be used if the clay used is suitable for our kilns
● Wear clothes that you don’t mind getting glaze on (just in case)
● Snacks and a drink of water
Other things to know:
Workshops are held at the Quarry Arts Centre operated by the Northland Craft Trust, a registered non-profit charitable trust.
If a class is cancelled a full refund will be given. In all other situations refunds are at our discretion and an administration fee may be deducted. We appreciate that circumstances change, and unforeseen events happen. We will do our best to help.
Covid Alert Level 1 or 2: Workshops will proceed in-person as normal
Covid Alert Level 3: In the event of Northland being in Alert Level 3, workshops will take place online. Workshop materials will be made available for contactless pickup
Covid Alert Level 4: Workshops may need to be postponed/cancelled if online workshops and materials pickup is unable to be arranged subject to prevailing essential service rules