Kids Ceramic Glazing – Ages 5 – 14 years
Friday 24th September 2021 | 3.30 pm – 4.30 pm
The Quarry Arts Centre is operated by a non-profit charitable trust supporting the arts in Northland for 41 years.
Glaze is a layer or coating used on bisque fired pottery (refer to examples below). The glaze is applied and then goes through another kiln firing process after the workshop at 984°C – 1,101°C. The glaze materials when used properly are non-toxic.
Kids are encouraged to bring along one main piece that they have made in our school holiday or after-school programs. If they do not have their own piece, we will supply items for the children to use.
1. Fundamentals and techniques of glaze application.
2. Planning colours, patterns and effects.
3. Glazing of one main piece per child.
4. Kiln firing (after the workshop).
5. Pick-up available 5 – 7 days after the workshop (sometimes sooner)
Cost to attend:
One child: $15.00
If you have more than two children attending, please contact us via email for a family discount: firstname.lastname@example.org
What you need to bring:
● Children can bring a piece they have made previously in one of our clay workshops, otherwise a piece can be provided for the workshop (at no charge)
● Wear clothes that you don’t mind getting glaze on (just in case)
● Snacks and a drink of water
● Pieces made at home or elsewhere will be considered and can be used if the clay used is suitable for our kilns.
ARRIVE: Between 3.15 pm – 3.25 pm
WORKSHOP STARTS: 3.30 pm
DURATION: 4.30 pm – 4.45 pm (depending on how fast they work and the fun they are having!)